NIGERIA NEWS
Nigerian Army Raids IPOB/ESN Hideouts, Recovers IED Materials
Nigerian troops raided suspected IPOB/ESN hideouts in Anambra, recovering guns, motorcycles and alleged IED-making materials, the Army says.
August 23, 2026 at 1:35:05 AM
August 23, 2026 at 1:36:36 AM
🕒 3 min read
SHARE THIS ARTICLE

The Nigerian Army says troops operating under Joint Task Force South East, Operation UDO KA, raided suspected IPOB/ESN positions in Ogbaru Local Government Area, recovering weapons, motorcycles and materials allegedly used to make improvised explosive devices.
ANAMBRA, Nigeria — August 23, 2026 — The Nigerian Army says troops and other security personnel carried out a coordinated raid on suspected strongholds of the Indigenous People of Biafra and its armed wing, the Eastern Security Network, in Ogbaru Local Government Area of Anambra State.
According to a statement published by the Nigerian Army on X, the operation was conducted on Saturday, August 22, by troops of Joint Task Force South East, Operation UDO KA, alongside the military's Maritime Component, the Department of State Services and the Anambra Vigilante Group.
The Army said the joint force launched a dawn operation targeting locations at Obene and Abator villages within the Ochuche and Umunankwo communities.
The military said those at the locations opened fire after sighting the advancing troops before abandoning their positions and fleeing into the surrounding area. Troops returned fire and pursued them, according to the Army's account.
The Army said blood stains were observed along the withdrawal route, which it said indicated that some of the fleeing suspects had been wounded during the exchange.
During the pursuit, troops killed one suspected member of the group, while other fleeing individuals escaped with the body of another person the Army said had also been killed. The casualty claims have not been independently verified.
A subsequent search of the locations resulted in the recovery of two pump-action guns, two motorcycles, materials the Army described as being used to manufacture improvised explosive devices, and other items.
The details of the operation and the recovered items were also reported by TheCable and P.M. News, both citing the military's account.
The Nigerian Army said the seizure of the alleged IED-making materials would reduce the ability of armed groups operating in the area to manufacture explosive devices for attacks against security forces, infrastructure and civilians.
TRENDING NOW
RELATED ARTICLE





